A common misconception amongst users of computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems is that they ‘just get slower over time’. If your computer seems to be running a lot slower than it used to then there are a few things that we can show you in order to get things back up to speed.
Following the procedures below should not cause any of your personal files to be changed or removed in any way however we do not hold any liability for problems caused through mis-use of the software.
Clearing Computer History Files
- Click this link to download Piriform’s Ccleaner.
- Run the file that you just downloaded to install Ccleaner, the program will start once the installer has finished.
- In the Intelligent Cookie Scan window click the button labelled ‘Yes (Recommended).
- If you wish to save your Internet History then untick the ‘History’ box in the Internet Explorer section and also in the ‘Applications’ tab for any other browsers that you may use.
- Click the button labelled ‘Run Cleaner’ (to the bottom right of the window).
- When the warning appears stating that ‘This process will permanently delete files from your system’ click the button labelled ‘OK’.
- Once the process is complete you will be presented with a summary of what has been removed. At this point you may simply close the program by clicking the red X button at the top right of the program window.
Removing Spyware and Malware
- Click this link to download the installer for Malwarebyte’s Antimalware.
- Run the file that you just downloaded to install Malwarebyte’s Antimalware
- Once installed you will be able to start it from either the start menu entry in All Programs or from the icon on your desktop.
- If you are prompted that The database is outdated then simply click the button labelled ‘Yes’ followed by ‘OK’.
- If you are prompted about the Trial of the full version then simply click the button labelled ‘Decline’.
- On the main window of the program click the button labelled ‘Scan’, this will initiate a scan of your computer which could take a while to complete. During this time you should keep an eye on the line which starts with ‘Objects Infected’, if this goes red then the scan has found malware on your system which will be removed in the next step.
- When the scan is complete you will need to click the button labelled ‘OK’ followed by the button labelled ‘Show Results’ and finally the button labelled ‘Remove Selected’.
- A white window will appear next displaying the results of the cleanup, close this window, click the button labelled ‘OK’ and finally the button labelled ‘Exit’.
Defragmenting your Hard Drive
- Click this link to download Piriform’s Defraggler.
- Run the file that you just downloaded to install Piriform’s Defraggler, the program will start once the installer is finished.
- Click the ‘Defrag’ button at the bottom of the program to begin, this process will take a considerable amount of time to complete (30mins+).
- Once the process is complete it will display the words ‘Defrag Complete’ half way down the left hand side of the program window. At this point you may simply close the program.
After completing the steps above you should notice a considerable improvement of the general running speed of your computer.
There are other issues which may cause a computer to run more slowly than it once did however these are beyond the scope of this tutorial and should be left to an experienced IT technician to avoid damage to your computer.